Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Spending time with Grandma in the kitchen

By Mitchie

For me everyday is a reminder a Grandma. She made such an impression on me at a very young age.
Who doesn't remember Grandmas Big Breakfast?  Bisquick waffles( I wish they still made her kind of waffle iron), Farmer John bacon and fried eggs cooked slow, and to perfection. Her Big secret to those amazing waffles was adding some fresh bacon grease to the batter just before cooking! 
The key to all her cooking was Butter and Sugar. Yes, she put sugar in everything!
When Cheri and I lived with Grandma and Grandpa back in the days of Pop in the back,(little house) and Grandpa Schien in the back room( which later became the TV room). 
Grandma was always cooking up their meals first and putting them on trays and all those cute little pirex dishes and if we were lucky we could take the trays to them. So fun.
Then she would cook our dinner, timed just right so that when Grandpa got home from work it was ready and on the table. Some yummy Pork Chop stew( Aunt Linda's Recipe) Chili( not Grandpas favorite)
Spagetti in the can with ground beef added. Slightly Oriental or Pot Roast and Potatoes and gravy. Tuna Casserole, Ham sandwiches with hamburger buns toasted with butter and then fresh ham from the Butcher and cheese. These are just a few of the meals I remember her making. Her muffins always peaked like perfection from Bisquick and once in a while she would make Custard in a water back or Chocolate pudding that we would eat hot from the oven and pour cold milk on. She was always looking for new recipes and ideas for meals.
One of my favorite things about Grandma and Grandpas was being able to have a Soda Pop. Do you remember their ice crusher machine? loved that thing. a big glass for Grandpa with Pepsi and drinks always had a kleenex wrapped around them so that your hands didn't freeze. I still wrap my drinks in a napkin or Kleenex.
In the Room that Cheri and I shared Grandpa would come in sometimes and have to pull out another case of Pepsi from under the bed. It was like WOW! look how much is under the bed. We never had to sneak them cause we always knew we could have one if we asked.
Did Grandma and Grandpa give you a Betty Crocker Cook Book for Christmas in 1981?
That was my very first cookbook. I loved that thing. ( still have it with me. 40 moves and counting) I would sit for hours and look at pictures and read recipes and try and figure out if Treena had the ingredients so that I could make it. I was living with the Bolingbrokes at that time.
Whats your favorite recipe from Grandma?



1 comment:

  1. I got a cookbook from Grandma too! I think it was also 1981. I used that cookbook for years! I loved the skillet speghetti recipe in it.

    My favorite recipe from Grandma is still the beans recipe. We have a monthly potluck with the YSA ward that Dave and I serve with, and we bring it every month.

    What wonderful memories about Grandma's breakfasts and dinners that she made. What a treat to watch her cook. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete